Lordelo – Affordable Housing in Porto

The proposal sought to present the construction of two new buildings for the affordable housing market in Porto. In this sense, we propose building the structures parallel to the facing Lordelo neighbourhood, optimising the solar orientation and respecting the visual framework of the urban complex.

The aim was to provide all houses with a private outdoor area, addressing an architectural design need that became more evident during the lockdown caused by the Covid-19 virus. During this period, the feeling of seclusion emphasised the need to include outdoor spaces in architectural projects; although this is a pre-existing need, it must be rethought, allowing the exploration of new solutions that ensure more comfort. Thus, the incorporation of continuous balconies is a basic principle in the elaboration of this project, related to the architectural quality that this design provides, by allowing and encouraging the contemplation of the surrounding landscape and the integration of nature in the building.

The exterior cladding of the buildings will be made of brick, ensuring visual harmony with the surrounding buildings, with high benefits in terms of maintenance and durability. The proposal incorporates sustainability principles, such as the collection and use of rainwater, the inclusion of a community laundry, the use of solar energy and the optimisation of energy consumption.

Desert Sunset

In 1959, Frank Lloyd Wright designed a curvilinear, two-story, single-family house for Norman and
Aimee Lykes in Phoenix’s Palm Canyon. The surrounding area is desolate, filled with cacti, brush,
various desert plants and wild animals. This may be their world but together we share the same
experience of the daily rituals of the sky. The phases of sunrise and sunset — the constant to
remind us of the sacredness of life. Staring out beyond the mountains and watching the sun
slowly disappear, I learnt to appreciate the symbolism of the sunset. When I look out into the
sun, the sunset is a reminder that yes indeed everything will be alright.


The Fall
Design & illustrated by Duy Phan

Recently I got the chance to hear a speech from Ross Calia, Ross is a talented multidisciplinary creative artist. Well known for his addictive sound composing integration into varied project typologies, Ross’s humble speech inspired and provoked me as a visual artist to rethink the way I extract concepts from images.

Learning the limits and possibilities of aural and visual translation when it comes to conveying the conceptual message, I tried to sketch down what I think is hearable that viewers can ‘see’: people or animal’s activities, lighting shift, moving weather and shaking vegetation…etc

‘Baa’ is the outcome of this brainstorming process.

The FALL is middle-hill seated, surrounded by moving nature. In the attempt of putting the livable creatures closer, imagination gives a second of popping up the animal’s sound in our head before scattering the eye through the windy meadow to uncover the architectural object. As natural as reality, the context is built in advance and the look-out structure flows along with the topography, blending itself to be part of the scenery.

Villa Mosca Bianca

Nestled on the shoreline of Lago Maggiore, Villa Mosca Bianca embraces its natural landscape, merging sustainability and lifestyle within it’s form. The layout and atmosphere has been designed as a reflection of the owners day-to-day routine to be a setting for meditation, outdoor dining and water views whilst visiting his holiday home in the outskirts of Lake Como. The materiality and form of the architecture extends to the landscape – to show that relation and the scale of it was the key point of my image.

Set in what was once a thick pine needle forest, a terraced landscape was carefully carved out opening up the house to the expansive lake beyond and a stunning, 180 view of sunsets over the surrounding mountains. The villa’s form undulates to create alternating internal rooms and external terraces like a series of fingers moving between inside and outside as they reach into the landscape.

At its heart is a central atrium housing a 70-year tree. The tree garden and atrium is open to the sky flooding the residence with natural light and visually connects the surrounding rooms and central staircase, whilst acting as a rain water collector and a passive air system for the villa. Complementing these systems: solar panels, rain water collecting and heat pumps help to produce 60% of the villa’s sustainable energy.

From the villa’s interiors. the landscape terraces down to the waterfront, providing plenty of moments for pause and reflection starting the day with harvesting vegetables from the organic garden for breakfast to dinner to gathering around the outdoor fire-pit after sunset. Each of these moments have become part of the client’s daily routine facilitated by an architecture that allows them to live, breathe, and play in this sustainable and comfortable ambience.