Wittaya Wangpuk won best of week 41/2015 with this incredible photo-real 3d recreation of House Gepo by Open Y Office. Wittaya did not try to recreate it 100% like the original, but it sure has the overall look and feel as well as the photographic feel to it. He followed almost every real shot that was made for this house, and today I’m happy to share the making-of this scene. Enjoy!
I have been following Ronen Bekerman’s blog for years and gained a lot of knowledge about working process and techniques from various fantastic artists with the goal of making images look more realistic.
With great pleasure, please allow me to present this Making Of on this blog.
Concept & References / Inspiration
I always love to see the manifestation of buildings revealed in the nature. Searching for inspiration and references on the Internet took me months. I was looking for the ideal project for my personal project purposes. My eyes eventually landed on House Gepo by Open Y Office, which is the kind that matches with my initial thoughts and imaginations in my mind for months.
Basic 3D Scene Setup
Here are the gamma and unit setup I used.
The modeling is quite easy thanks to the modern style of the building, which is focusing on using nice materials and simple geometries.
I only used editable poly modeling methods.
The most important thing regarding the ground here is the imperfection of it.
I separated the ground into 3 areas and then I used meash smooth and paint deformation to make the ground a bit more realistic.
I used Object Paint and MultiScatter to make the plantation, there are 10 different cameras in the scene. So plantation is quite important to create realistic tree shades.
Trees & Bushes
I used Object Paint to plant trees and shrubs by randomizing the rotation and scale to lessen the repetition.
Grass on the first part
Various grass models have been assigned in this scene.
Grass on the second part
Gravel on the third part
The final image of the grass after using MultiScatter…
All of concrete, wood and ground textures I used are from CGTexture I modified some of them in Photoshop.
To make the plantation look realistic I adjusted the texture by using color correction
I used V-Ray dome and V-Ray direct light in this scene.
V-Ray sun had also been set, but then I found that V-Ray sun is a little hard to control. So in this project I tried Direct Light which turned out very impressive to me.
I can just move the sun to make different shades.
Here are my V-Ray settings.
For post-production I only adjusted contrast and color balance to make the images look photo realistic as possible…
The Final Images
Thanks for reading, I hope this “Making Of “could help you 🙂