Clicky

Under Tomorrows Sky
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By PaulNicholls

Thread: Under Tomorrows Sky

Default Under Tomorrows Sky

UNDER TOMORROWS SKY is a think tank and exhibition probed and curated by Liam Young with the aim to author a proposal for a future city. The first stage of the exhibition opened last Friday at MU in Eindhoven. Liam kindly invited us to join the project, above is a concept of the future city we produced for the exhibition. The image was designed and completed within a week by Jonathan here in the office.

UNDER TOMORROWS SKY » UNDER TOMORROWS SKY @ MU OPENING AUG 10TH

Name:  7822611736_77e13a96c0_b.jpg
Views: 4286
Size:  470.2 KB

Name:  7822624532_ecc462bee9_c.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  7822614728_b461c82204_c.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  7822617220_b935df67a9_c.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  80.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Visuals aside... And they are great with lots of amazing small details.

I'd like to ponder on the architectural aspects of this - Urban Architecture.

I'm not sure if anyone would ever like to actually live in such a city, which makes me wonder why this type of concept/s is brought up... Not just this one specifically, but many other too along these lines.

Seems to be something possible after a cataclysmic event which humanity finds itself afterwards with no standard cities to live in and hence going back in time to create the future city...

Would love it if you can share more of the thought that drove you to create this concept.

There does seem to be a pessimistic outlook on the future in all facets of our lives these days. Global warming, the threat of nuclear world war, oil reserves running out, Mayan prophecies. I think it's somewhat natural as humans to think about the end of it all, not in a religious sense, more in the idea that our existence on Earth is limited and thus so is humanities.

This seems to permeate into our design philosophies also. In popular culture the future is generally shown two ways, either a super advanced, clean, white, robotic philosophy (think Minority Report, I Robot ) or the cataclysmic realm (think MadMax, Waterworld) Hence it follows that the design philosophies of the future fall into these two realms. Not to say there shouldn't be other options, but certainly I think these design ideas, tie back to our future view of humanity and this planet.

This sort of architecture that PaulNicholls has shown reminds me of the architecture in the Greek Islands or the Amalfi Coast in Italy. Tiny communities built into the rock walls, living off the land. Cool concepts anyway, good discussion pieces!
    Peter Drew
    Senior Digital Artist - Neoscape NYC
    www.cheekybeaglestudios.com

Great comment. I think with this type of work it is better to see it as an alternative future rather than a linear progression from where we are now. This leads to a more interesting discussion on how we evolved in that way rather then why did we move to this form of dwelling.

We do a lot of this type of work for various people and our opinion changes all the time. We are doing one right now which is quite 'water worldy'... Also as CheekyBeagle states this type of dwelling exists in some form in remote parts of the world where traditional building types do not lend itself so efficiently.

Other great references include the Eloi Village, Scene from The Time Machine film: http://www.tombsofkobol.com/images/c...machine_46.jpg

Someone in the city life challenge did something similar back in Christmas I think. Anyhow keep an eye on our blog for a whole new artwork set coming out soon.

P

Hi I love this concept!!, and great images Congrats!!
    reminds me my entry in CITY LIFE CHALLENGE !!, Where i wanted to recreate the cliffs in time machine movie
    Cliffs1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Cliffs | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

regards
    Alvaro