Clicky

Hendee-Borg House
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hendee-Borg House

Default Hendee-Borg House

My latest work for William O'Brien Jr. www.wojr.org (project not up on his site yet).

This is a selection on my favourite views, you can view the full set of images on flickr:

Hendee-Borg house exteriors on flickr

Hendee-Borg house interiors on flickr

Name:  EXT01.jpg
Views: 10309
Size:  156.9 KB
    Name:  EXT04.jpg
Views: 3563
Size:  155.9 KB
    Name:  EXT05.jpg
Views: 3515
Size:  164.5 KB
    Name:  EXT07.jpg
Views: 3625
Size:  187.3 KB
    Name:  INT02.jpg
Views: 3694
Size:  124.4 KB
    Name:  INT01.jpg
Views: 3707
Size:  228.9 KB
    Name:  INT07.jpg
Views: 3632
Size:  255.4 KB
    Name:  INT06.jpg
Views: 3640
Size:  265.8 KB

Usual workflow:

Sketchup>3dsmax+vray+forestpro+brix(mightytiles)>p hotoshop>lightroom

I used a lot of models from designconnected.com, the rest come from Bertrand Benoit(long grass, books), turbosquid (more books), model+model(various small props, books).

The lighting is all HDRi based of course, I've forgotten which ones I used but will update this post when I've checked the file.

EDIT: I used 1941 for the exteriors, and 1735 for the interiors.

I'm planning a quite exhaustive blog post on how I made this, but in the meantime feel free to ask questions (it will help me make the write up more interesting) and also please do leave feedback. For me the most interesting part of the project was having a lot of input into the artistic direction and even the interior design and choice of furniture. I love working on projects like this where I can add something personal to it.

There are a couple of mall things I'm not so happy with, like the external decking material, and the rug material. The long grasses could use a bit more variation too, but I felt it was good enough so as not to distract attention. In my projects I'm always trying to work on the overall feel and mood and as long as technical imperfections don't spoil it then I tend to leave lots of things at the 'thats good enough' stage (otherwise I'd never finish anything). Certain things did get a lot of attention though, the terracotta tiled floor for example, was one of my design ideas and I really wanted to make a good job of it as it was an important design element.
    Last edited by peterguthrie; 06-20-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: additional info
    bakbek, otoh, 90grados and 12 others like this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great work Peter - as always.

I like the lighting - top!

Congrats
    You can follow me onTwitter

Great work Peter!

There is a lot to explore in these images, and I'm looking forward to more in-depth write-up about your process, but could you share a bit more info about the house and the design? who it is intended for and function...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bakbek View Post
    Great work Peter!

There is a lot to explore in these images, and I'm looking forward to more in-depth write-up about your process, but could you share a bit more info about the house and the design? who it is intended for and function...

Cheers
    It's a house for two artists, expressed by the two studios at either end and also divided into living/working space (front back). The intention was to highlight this by having a warm inviting living space and a colder, emptier working space. This informed a lot of the compositions as well as the choice of materials and ultimately the choice of lighting (warm/cold). Although the interior lighting is daytime and the exterior set dusk, I feel that they read well together as a set, perhaps because of the thought that went into colours and lighting.

We had some reference images that we liked as well, which informed the landscape design and also the mood of the exteriors, I'll share those on my blog.

The architect's website will contain more info about the architecture when it is updated.

Fabulous work Peter. Would love to see you how you'd go adding some photographic elements like people into your scenes, in order to start telling a story about the space.... ie how it's intended to be used. That would really be taking it to the next level but I know how much extra work is involved in that. Other than that you've done an awesome job showing off the space and your lighting is spot on.

Peter - The interiors seem very noise free (as far as I can tell in the resolution on flickr.) Did you use brute force on them? If so have you found a good balance for settings to eliminate noise but keep times OK? Or was it IR/LC?

Anyway, amazing work, can't wait to see the full write up!

Dan

So, obviously there's no doubt, that the whole set is amazing. My 2nd hobby is Photography. And I think I have, with the works I've published on behance, some knowledge of what a great photograph is. Photography Aesthetics is of course, extremely subjective. Despite that, I'm going to give some critique as a Photographer. I'm going to be a bitch about the details. Please don't be offended, it's solely my own personal opinion.

EXT01: It's a what's I'd call a "Winning Recipe" composition. 1/3 foreground, 1/3 subject, 1/3 background. I've used it myself at this shot. Simple Living (photograph #4).
    I wonder if the foreground details are necessary. Since the interior is lit up, and the focus of the picture is on them - perhaps a lower F-stop to blur the foreground and background. Looking only at the background. I know I'm being picky. But there are two trees that are a little higher than the others. I know this is to suggest "Randomness" in tree growth. But if it was me. I'd remove them. So that the only "Upwards Pointing" elements in the picture is the roof. And so that the background trees flattens out.

I'm terms of content. I think that there might be a lack of furniture/painting/turned-off-lights in the middel on the building OVER "library". There are 2 completely empty rooms. But in another way you could say that the empty rooms enhances the presence of the Library part. It can go either way.

For the furniture. I don't know if the Eames chair in the left side of the picture tells that story of "This is like the veranda, where you sit and and chill and enjoy the landscape and all that". It's also oriented inwards instead of outwards. Perhaps it should be oriented outwards? A bit like the chairs in the right side.

Looking at the colors. It looks like you've bombarded the library with orange light, and the others with white light. I understand your concept with 'Cool Outside, Warmth Inside'. Like you did with "The Twins" set. But I wonder if perhaps the light sources should just be white? - And that the Orange Tiles, The Wood Shelves Is enough "warmth". It's a bit exaggerated.

________

EXT04:
    Composition wise it's great. I'd like to think that if #1 was to show the entire building and context. And now at #2 we are focusing on the actual building. I'd still prefer it with a lower F-stop. There's no need for the wild grass. Perhaps the camera should get a little closer? We aren't seeing anything in the sides anyway. But still keep the roof and sky in the picture.

So again. The Details. I'm a bit fuzzed over the way the foreground meets the middle boards. I'm also wondering if it can be true that I cannot see any trees. Those curtains are very very thin. The double reflections are amazing. The concrete texture at the little window, has this vertical line. I don't know if that's intentional - But I don't know why it's there. I'm also an architecture student. And I'd say that Board Shuttered Concrete CAN span that wide over the entire concrete wall. I'd remove it.

EXT05
    The 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 again. It's great. This time I see you've Diffused the blue light from the blue. It's a great "trick".
    But I know that, if you are standing outside at dusk. And shooting into a building with lights. To be able to see the details inside(like we can with the cord). Then you'd have to have a lower exposure of the outside. And now I'd say the amount of light is equal, inside and outside.. But again, it's not really a "flaw", because it works great with the picture. It's direct "WARMTH vs COLD". But with a DSLR I don't think you'd have this Equal Amount of Light. Or else you're just shooting with a beast of a camera.. Or it's a HDRI. .

The hanging trees and darkened foreground is also great. It's like a Natural Vignetting. Works really well.

________

EXT07

I like the gradient of the warm light source. It goes from -1 > 3 > -1. Like a reference to the first picture, that the warmth is central. I'm at the moment wondering, since I know that the sun is oriented from the main enterance towards the library, why there aren't any shadows of the trees on the building? But maybe I just don't know the site well enough. The subtle depth of field is fine as well. I think you've used like F-Stop 5? And with the Focus Point placed to compliment the Rule of Thirds. With is also textbook photography-ish. I wonder if you really had to obey the Rule of Thirds, and perhaps just keep the focus in the center? But I'm just being picky.
    I going to be a total bitch now and say that, I think that that Cladding Thing is under the windows, is very flat. I'm not going to school you on Vray, it would just be wrong. But it's hard to see depth in it.

I'm going to stop here. I'm creating Walls of Texts. I hope it's helpful and not too hard to read. I can't be bothered looking for typing mistakes. I'll critique the interiors later

Default Great

Great work Peter, congratulations !
    I love the overall mood, the "warm / cold" contrast.
    I agree most of the time with what mikedhansen said but, these are very tough critics man ! These shots are just amazing, and I perfectly understand the "that's enough" philosophy of Peter, and it gives very good results, just look at the pictures, they speak by themselves. The only critic to me would be the clading tiles on the last exterior shot, a little bit too flat indeed. By the way, it makes me think of a non very often spoken thing: the "Blur" and "Blur Offset" bitmap parameters. It seems like Peter just left these two parameters respectively to "1" and "0" (default settings). I usually tend to put lower values to keep the map sharp even when viewed with this kind of weak angle, and it works well. Keeping the default values of 1 / 0 can give blurred perceptions, flat results in some situations.

I have a question Peter, if you don't mind: what trees did you use for the background ? These conifers are really amazing.

Cheers,

Amazing job. Love the mood.

Very nice set of images Peter. They just keep getting better. I look forward to the rundown of the project.

Great work! You insipire all of us everytime you launch a new work.

I am pretty curious about the pines trees you used. Are they home made, onyx tree? Just love them!

Cheers
    --------------
    MetroCúbicoDigital
    --------------
    CGOnlineGallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast