Clicky

Dune Apartments stage A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Dune Apartments stage A

Default Dune Apartments stage A

Hi,

Here's a selection of images I worked on at Mellon Architekci architectural office. They both served as a design tool for checking if the project is heading the right way and as a marketing tool, as can be seen here:

Luksusowe apartamenty nad morzem - Mielno Dune

I usually spent from half a day to two days on them.
    It's based on an Archicad model, refined and rendered in 3dMax and Vray and heavily postproduced in Photoshop.

As some of you know, those images have been posted on Evermotion forum as well, but as I produced some making of videos based on those images, I decided to share them with you too. And I try to pay off my debts towards this site and people here - never forget how important for my skill development Ronen's site has been.

I hope at least some of you will find something useful here

entourage composing:
    Composing Entourage 1 on Vimeo
    Composing Entourage 2 on Vimeo

making of seaside sunset view:
    Dune st.A seaside sunset making of on Vimeo

Kind regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    bakbek, annkos, franciscok and 7 others like this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

nic

few thoughts -too much building in most of the shots
    too bright/direct sun (you make it look worse in the sunset shot by brightening it up in post!)
    too even
    too white

i like the last shot though - it has some feeling
    overall very architetcural, very bland - but im sure they serve a purpose a design images.

Hey nic,

Thanks a lot for your input- that's what I was hoping for, someone's honest opinion. I agree with it too.
    A few thoughts of my own:
    Those are architectural images were made mainly as a design tool and lack of time made me work less in 3dmax than I would like to. Most of the renderings required a lot of attention in Photoshop and I must overdone there
    I find it challenging to represent white architecture, it's easy to make it look overexposed and flat.

Kind regards,

jasam

nice images, I agree the last image has more feeling/story to it, but also feel the others no doubt fit the purpose for which they were created.

I don't feel that sun is too strong but then again, different people, different monitors etc.

I do have a random question - what font is used for the word 'piktoforma' at the end of your making-of video?
    3D Artist at The Neighbourhood

Website
    Twitter

Default Dune stuff

Hi there

They all look competently done, certainly the model is impressive - I'm guessing, with Archicad, it comes in with a lot of detail?

I'd agree the last few are the more successful ones, particularly the last one - as it's not afraid of some 'darks' - the earlier ones I'd say the glass is too bright maybe

I often don't model or render glass, or rather I just put something in to generate an alpha channel / selection set for photoshop, particularly on something like this, where there isn't much 'self-reflection' of the building

in photoshop I just add a 'glass layer', jet black, then alter the transparency, and then paste over a reflection - I also paste the photo I'm using for the reflection, into the reflection's layer mask, play with the contrast, so that the bright bits of the reflection are stronger, pretty clunky I know! (useless for animations too, or fiddly rather)

they look kinda 2:1 in proportion? why not 3 to 1 ratio, might find then that some of the vanishing points land on the page better...?

and then the usual comment that in the dusk shots, they would be a 4 - 10 second exposure, so er the people would be ghosts....... also the vegetation would be very black, a lot darker, as it tends to 'suck up' any light

last thing, I think maybe the sky backgrounds are a bit generic,a bit 'stock'...

apart from all the above, great!

Default white building

http://www.viewpictures.co.uk/ImageT..._LUXEMBURG.jpg

the other thing I do, is render two renders, one globally lit with just a white environment, no sun

and then a sun pass, with a direct light, and a black background, so the only 'bounce' light is coming from this direct light / sun

I then 'darken' the white render, matching the shadow colour, tone to a photo like the link above, and then add the sun 'pass' over the top via 'screen', and again match the 'sun' colour to again the photo warm off-white etc

there are various ways of darkening the lower 'ambient' layer, either using levels, curves, or sometimes I add a photo-filter 'adjustment' layer, and put this to multiply..

it's a phaff, no question, maybe over-simplistic lighting wise, and you're rendering twice, but then you have complete control over the highlights, and shadow colour etc.

and then (finally, I promise!) there doesn't seem to be any ambient oclusion in your renders, and maybe a nice normal bump map for the stucco (?) would be an option? you can get nice maps from [CG Textures] - Textures for 3D, graphic design and Photoshop!, and then use 'crazybump' to generate the normal map... I would have enabled 'ambient occlusion' in the GI settings in VRay...

Whoa!

Thank you guys for those insightful comments.

Dave- thanks for your opinion. The font is called DIN CE Light.

sdwhitton- thank you for your time to write your input, much appreciated.
    I also generate "selection maps" from max and alter glass reflections in photoshop. I do it for pretty much everything (greenery, window frames, pavements, etc.). That gives me some tools to enhance rather flat raw renders.

I like panoramic proportions and would like to try 3:1 ratio, but I had to keep in mind that those images are going to be used in leaflets, banners, and website so they had to be somwhere closer to standard paper formats, like A4.

You're right about the people in dusk shots and the vegetation, but I know for a fact that the developer for whom the images were prepared would rather have nice, clear people and visible vegetation, than ghost smudges and black holes

Well, all those images had ao enabled But it must have been lost in photoshop. And the white is also not cpmpletely white, it has some bump. But again, lost in photoshop and I got some directives to make it smooth and clean...

Thanks again for your comments.

Kind regards

A Spotlight about Jakub's project was published on the blog with more info too... Expect some new videos soon too

Have a great weekend.

Hi,

As asked- here are some Archicad views, showing the level of detail that came with the base model.

Kind regards,

Jakub
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Muktinsh likes this.

Hi again,

There's a new video for you:

Dune Boulevard making of on Vimeo

Kind regards,

Jakub

Here's a reply to HrvojeSedlić for his question from the front page article. I suppose the comment section is not made for long text...

I could say the same I wrote a long reply to your question but it didn't show up.

So, to sum it up again:

My workflow is really simple (suppose everyone does pretty much the same). I go to 3d view in archicad, save model as 3ds file with 1000mm and "by material" checked. After importing it to 3dmax I change it to editable poly (I prefer it that way) and if I need to chamfer or refine anything I weld the vertices with 0,001cm precision set. Not everything is chamferable in an Archicad made model (for example wall connections sometimes have an additional, hidden polygon which shows up when you want to chamfer the edge). The most important thing is to keep track of your materials and geometry while working in Archicad. I always check if there are any overlapping elements (which later result in black surfaces in vray).

If you have any particular problems, let me know. maybe I'll be able to help.

Kind regards,

Jakub

i cannot chamfer in max projects that come from archicad

how do you do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast